guix-devel

Re: Website development questions

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: Website development questions
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 09:55:25 -0500

On 2016-11-21 09:01, address@hidden wrote:
¡Hola!

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> skribis:

On 2016-11-15 04:57, address@hidden wrote:
Hello!

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> skribis:

I cloned the website to try a fix for bug #22115, and wanted to ask
first what process do you follow to try out the whole website
locally?
When I build and serve the website with Haunt, I face the following
problems:

1. Pages don't load static files because they are looking for the
"static" directory in "/software/guix/static". Do I need to set some
variable first?

To test locally, you need to do:

  $ GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL=yes haunt build
  $ haunt serve

There should be no broken links, except for links to the manual or
other
parts of gnu.org.

I suppose this should go to README…

2. The Packages and Packages Issues pages, which are defined in (www
packages) are commented out. How do you deal with those in
development?

That’s on purpose, so that people don’t need to have Guix installed to
hack on the web site.

We build these pages separately using the ‘export-web-page’ procedure.

Ludo, I'm not sure how to do this part. Do I just import (www) and
(www packages) in a REPL, and call `export-web-page` for each page
(packages index and issues)? You don't have to modify `www.scm` at all
(uncomment elements in the %web-pages list, for example)?

Also, trying just that, when I try importing (www packages), (guix ui)
is not found in my system:

    scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (www packages))
    ;;; compiling
/home/anonimo/Documentos/guix-artwork/website/www/packages.scm
    ;;; WARNING: compilation of
/home/anonimo/Documentos/guix-artwork/website/www/packages.scm failed:
    ;;; ERROR: no code for module (guix ui)
    While compiling expression:
    ERROR: no code for module (guix ui)

I'm using Guile 2.0.13 installed from Guix binary on Debian 8, and
guix is version 20161113.19. Where are Guix modules?

Thanks,

In the meantime, I cloned guix repo, and added the source directory to
Guile's load path. The error above is gone, but now I get this one:

    scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (www) (www packages))
    ;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
    ;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
    ;;; compiling
/home/anonimo/Documentos/guix-artwork/website/www/packages.scm
    ;;; compiling /home/anonimo/Documentos/guix/guix/ui.scm
    ;;; compiling /home/anonimo/Documentos/guix/guix/utils.scm
    ;;; WARNING: compilation of
/home/anonimo/Documentos/guix/guix/utils.scm failed:
    ;;; ERROR: no code for module (guix config)
    ;;; WARNING: compilation of
/home/anonimo/Documentos/guix/guix/ui.scm failed:
    ;;; ERROR: no code for module (guix config)
    ;;; compiling /home/anonimo/Documentos/guix/guix/store.scm
    ;;; WARNING: compilation of
/home/anonimo/Documentos/guix/guix/store.scm failed:
    ;;; ERROR: no code for module (guix config)
    ;;; WARNING: compilation of
/home/anonimo/Documentos/guix-artwork/website/www/packages.scm failed:
    ;;; ERROR: no code for module (guix config)
    While compiling expression:
    ERROR: no binding `guix-warning-port' in module (guix ui)

And still curious about how to import guix modules without using a
checkout :)

This part requires a Guix installation; a mere checkout won’t do, it has
to be configured (the (guix config) module is created by ./configure).
I think it doesn’t require a running daemon though, so you could do away
by simply making a checkout and running ./configure in there.

Yeah, I just figured that one out :P

However, I have another problem:

scheme@(guile-user)> (export-web-page packages-page "site/packages/index.html") gnu/packages/databases.scm:87:21: In procedure #<procedure c375ef0 at gnu/packages/databases.scm:80:12 ()>: gnu/packages/databases.scm:87:21: Throw to key `srfi-34' with args `(#<condition &message [message: "4store-fix-buildsystem.patch: patch not found"] d5b3220>)'.

Entering a new prompt. Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.

I'm clueless about that,

P. S.: Maybe we should find a way to test these kinds of pages with dummy objects?

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/