guix-devel

Re: (Exposing?) config files and non-start/stop operations

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: (Exposing?) config files and non-start/stop operations
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 14:31:58 +0100

Howdy!

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:

[...]

>> It’s also a situation where adding the config file to /etc would be
>> reasonable (until Shepherd actions can actually be added :-)).
>
> True.  Though we still run, potentially, into problems where multiple
> instances of some service are provided, eg multiple mediagoblin servers
> or mail daemons or etc.

Sure, definitely.  All I meant was that populating /etc can be done as a
quick stop-gap measure when it makes sense, but it’s not a great
solution, notably because of the multiple-instance problem you describe.

> Note: I'm interested still in exploring the shepherd actions stuff
> still... though I did realize this morning that it wouldn't help in the
> rare commands that have interactive input... there's no way to send
> input/output in that way through the herd afaict!  Oh well, that's
> probably pretty rare.
>
> Speaking of I/O from commands, I wonder how you'd give any kind of
> output back through an action to the herd?  Afaict the protocol supports
> it and allows sending back "messages" that will be displayed, but
> nothing uses it yet.  There's a <command-reply> record type that afaict
> nothing uses at all.

<command-reply> is used for every reply sent by the daemon, in
(shepherd).

However, this hasn’t been thought to provide interactive commands and
such things; I’m not sure it would be a great idea to support
interactive commands, dunno.

The protocol currently is just: you connect, you send a request, you get
a reply, and you disconnect.  Actions are expected to be non-blocking.

Ludo’.