guix-devel

Re: [herd] Have status display services as a bulleted list.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [herd] Have status display services as a bulleted list.
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 17:16:18 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> I don't know about you, but I am totally unable to read the
> "herd status" line as it exists in the current state.  I mean, I love
> sexps, but even I don't like a completely flat and ungreppable list
> printed to stdout.

Agreed!

> *** New output ***
>
> address@hidden:~/devel/shepherd$ sudo ./herd -s /var/run/shepherd/socket
> status
> Started:
>  + file-system-/run/systemd
>  + xorg-server
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct
>  + file-system-/mnt/debian
>  + syslogd
>  + term-tty1
>  + root-file-system
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio
>  + avahi-daemon

Works for me!  I’m just wondering if there are ideas we could/should
follow more closely the output of ‘systemctl status’.  IIRC, it displays
a couple of lines for each service; for instance, we could display the
“running” value and dependencies of each service, indented below its
name.

WDYT?  Would that make sense?

Ludo’.