guix-devel

Re: Offloading to use Guile-SSH instead of lsh

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Offloading to use Guile-SSH instead of lsh
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 23:10:53 +0100

address@hidden (宋文武) skribis:

> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 11:50:22PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

>>> Done!
>>>
>>> It seems to work well in my own tests, but more feedback is welcome.
>>
>> It looks like there is a spurious module import of (ssh key) with the
>> latest code:
>>
>> $ guix pull

>> 2870: 1 [resolve-interface (ssh key) #:select ...]
>> In unknown file:
>>    ?: 0 [scm-error misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("no code for module" (ssh key)) #f]
>>
>> ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
>> ERROR: no code for module (ssh key)
>> builder for `/gnu/store/z958zcva82idmanswyw7zg00zyack221-guix-latest.drv'
>> failed with exit code 1
>> guix pull: error: build failed: build of
>> `/gnu/store/z958zcva82idmanswyw7zg00zyack221-guix-latest.drv' failed
>
> I push a commit 5aed7f10f to add guile-ssh to the load-path of the pull
> builder (the commit message refers a wrong commit, sorry) to fix it.
>
> But as ng0 report in #guix, the 0.11 install media is still broken.
> Since I add guile-ssh's go files to load-compiled-path, which are
> broken before commit 92b7258.
>
> Should I remove guile-ssh from %load-compiled-path in
> build-aux/build-self.scm?  (assuming the offload script build fine with
> guile-ssh-0.9.0 of the guix-0.11)

Bah, what a mess!

‘guix offload’ needs Guile-SSH 0.10.2, but ‘guix offload’ is only
invoked from guix-daemon, and guix-daemon is not updated using ‘guix
pull’ anyway.

I committed a workaround as aa28ecc40af91d7cdff2fb3ab4ad86ad10d43ab7.

Fundamentally, it illustrates that the current strategy of ‘guix pull’
of relying on user-provided packages is flawed: we can get a broken
Guile-SSH, or one with the wrong version, or none at all, and that
really sucks.

Updating Guix should be like updating a normal package: you get the
package itself and all its dependencies that are known to work.

Ludo’.