guix-devel

Re: d3js chord diagrams

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: d3js chord diagrams
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 23:59:41 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hey Ricardo,
>>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> I’ve built something:
>>>
>>>     http://elephly.net/graph.html
>>
>> What happened to this neat hack we discussed in October?  :-)
>
> The current “export-graph” procedure writes the graph representation to
> a port by calling output procedures provided by the graph backend.  With
> this interface I cannot generate a complete HTML file using a gexp
> unless I add a special case for the d3 backend.
>
> I’ve tried to accumulate the node representations as a string with
> “with-output-to-string” (to embed it in a gexp for the HTML file), but I
> couldn’t get this to work.  (All output I could capture was what
> “emit-prologue” would write to the port.  It does this outside of the
> monad anyway.)

Right, I think the conclusion was that we cannot generate things in the
store, or at least that it would be mostly useless since we have to
write it to the output port that is passed to the backend:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-10/msg01261.html

So I think the strategy in the original patch is more appropriate.

Sorry for the confusion!

Ludo’.