guix-devel

Re: NetworkManager doesn't "Connect automatically"

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: NetworkManager doesn't "Connect automatically"
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 23:16:53 -0800

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Wed 14 Dec 2016 10:13, Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Did I make a mistake, or does NetworkManager just not recognize elogind?
>>> I'll look into this more, but unless I made a mistake, I suspect that
>>> either elogind or network-manager might require some tweaks to convince
>>> network-manager that elogind is equivalent to systemd in this case.
>>
>> See README where it mentions differences to logind:
>>
>>   https://github.com/elogind/elogind
>>
>> In particular see the changes in gnu/packages/polkit.scm to get
>> PolicyKit to recognize elogind.
>>
>> ANdy
>
> Awesome, thank you for the tip!  At first blush it looks like the word
> "systemd" is mentioned in surprisingly many files inside the
> NetworkManager source.  I'll try following the example of polkit and see
> how it goes!

Upon closer inspection, it looks almost as if NetworkManager has
extracted code from systemd for its own internal use.  I'll continue to
look into this, but I don't expect to be able to make progress on my own
very soon, so if someone else wants to dive in and help figure out what
substitutions to make in the NetworkManager code, it would be welcome.

--
Chris