guix-devel

Re: Emacs-Guix released outside from Guix

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Emacs-Guix released outside from Guix
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 01:37:50 +0100

Hi Alex,

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Hello, I've been working on Emacs interface outside from the Guix repo
>> for some time, I mean I'm not going to maintain it inside Guix, sorry :-(
>>
>> The main reason, is, well, inconvenience for me: I don't like to bother
>> people with patches, etc.  I tried to explain it at
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-07/msg01091.html>.
>
> As someone who’s always trusted you to do the right thing, I’m of course
> disappointed that we Guix folks didn’t get notified nor consulted before
> the fact.  I would also have loved a reply to my message back then¹.
> That’s your choice though.
>
> ¹ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-07/msg01110.html

First of all, let me tell you that I really appreciate your work on
guix.el!  It’s excellent and makes me feel even more at home in Emacs.

I whole-heartedly second what Ludo wrote and just now and back then:

    It would be a great loss and a technical hindrance if guix.el was moved
    out of Guix.  I don’t want that to happen, so let me know what the
    ransom should be!  ;-)

We’d love for guix.el to stay.  You can already modify the code as you
deem appropriate without having to worry about a veto from any of us.

> Breakage will occasionally occur as the Guix APIs change, which will
> make us all a bit sad.  What are your thoughts?

This is the biggie for me.  Having the Emacs interface so closely
integrated with the rest of Guix ensured that we wouldn’t have to worry
about breakage.  In my opinion this move increases the friction for the
users that most care about guix.el for the dubious improvement of
offering a slimmer guix.el to people who … don’t use Guix.

I feel like I’m missing something here.

> I’ll let you take care of the actual removal, along with update to the
> Texinfo cross-references and doc/htmlxref.cnf (assuming the manual will
> be available on-line.)  I think it would help users to keep
> cross-references between the two manuals.
>
> We need to see what Ricardo thinks and whether or not this can be done
> before 0.12, which is slated for sometime next week.

Yes, I’ll start preparing for the release (going through the motions) on
the weekend, so that the actual tagging and uploading can happen on the
20th (busy on the 19th) if all goes well.

If you go through with the move please double check that the Guix
sources are in a state that’s ready for release.  It would be terrible
to have a botched release.  (Frankly, I’m a little uncomfortable about
such a big change right before the release, but maybe I’m just being
nervous about doing the release myself this time…)

--
Ricardo

  GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
  http://elephly.net