guix-devel

Re: Graphical GuixSD Installer

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Graphical GuixSD Installer
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:08:16 +0100

> Would it make sense to add a check for it at configure time and
> conditionally compile and install the modules only if 'guile-ncurses' is
> found, like what is done for 'guile-json'?

Doesn't this just complicate things? How about decoupling things
instead? Put the installer in a separate repo and make it a regular
guix package? Or keep it in the same repo and make it a guix package.
Then if someone wants to use guix-install they can say guix package -i
guix-install. I'd suggest the same for guix refresh since people are
against adding a json dependency. We could even go as far as making
each guix command a package. Then we can be a little more galant with
dependencies and if someone only wants to use guix-build and
guix-package they only have to install those.