guix-devel

Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 12:56:41 +0100

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 01:20:56AM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:

     config_file="$(mktemp --tmpdir wireless-XXXXX.cfg)"
     trap "rm -f $config_file" EXIT
     cat > "$config_file" << EOM
     network={
         ssid="my-network-id"
         key_mgmt=NONE
         wep_key0=my-wep-key
     }
     EOM
     wpa_supplicant -i wlp2s0 -c "$config_file" -B
     dhclient -v wlp2s0

     Does your installer assume a specific (non-WEP) wireless encryption
     protocol?  That might explain the issue.

Yes.  That will be the reason.  I've assumed that encryption if present is PSK.
I'm not sure how to determine off air what kind of encryption an AP wants.
Maybe someone can enlighten me.

     > * What would you suggest instead of the "Reboot" message?

     I think the USB stick needs to be mounted in order for the system to
     function, right?  So it seems like we can't unmount it before
     rebooting...  I know that Ubuntu's installer ejects the installation CD
     and asks the user to remove it and then reboot, so it must be possible
     to arrange for the media to be physically removed without crashing the
     system.  I'm not sure how to do that, though.

     Until that's figured out, maybe just say something like: "To avoid
     accidentally booting into the installation media, please shut down the
     computer, remove the installation media, and turn the computer back on."
     How's that?  Too verbose?

I think it's ok in this kind of application to have verbose messages.  I'll
think about
something along the lines you suggest.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3