guix-devel

Re: A postinst equivalent in Guix?

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: A postinst equivalent in Guix?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 18:26:28 -0600

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Georgi Kirilov <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 04:34:55PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>
>>>To make things more concrete, we could discuss specific packages you are
>>>interested in and see how we could provide them in Guix{,SD}.
>>
>> The package is the old bsd-games bundle. Some of the games need to
>> write score files under /var/lib/bsdgames/
>> You can find attached my patch so far.
>
> The patch looks good to me!
>
> As for /var/lib/bsdgames, then it’s up to the admin to set the right
> permissions on it.  We can ensure that it exists and has the right
> permissions on GuixSD, but on foreign distros, there’s nothing we can
> do.
>
> We could also modify bsd-games such that it falls back to
> ~/.local/bsdgames when /var/lib/bsdgames isn’t accessible (and it would
> be worth submitting upstream).  ISTR this was discussed for one of the
> games present in Guix.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Ludo’.

I'm a bit wary about GuixSD packages declaring being able to write to
/var/ anything by default.  What would the permissions be?  I guess if
it were world-writable to all "users" group users it would be okayish.

Note that KoboDeluxe includes a patch snarfed from Debian that comments
out the ability to save score files for this same reason, and it was
marked in Debian as a security patch IIRC...