guix-devel

Re: updating many haskell packages

From: Troy Sankey
Subject: Re: updating many haskell packages
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 10:23:12 -0500

Quoting Federico Beffa (2017-02-06 03:03:34)
> Troy Sankey <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have a WIP branch which contains many haskell package updates and
> > additions, and makes haskell-build-system use the latest ghc (8.0.2).
> >
> > https://github.com/pwnage101/guix/tree/add-gitit
> >
> > It started as a small project to create a Gitit package (hence the name
> > of the branch), but blew up into something larger.  It's hard work, so I
> > just wanted to check in with you all to see if this seems like the right
> > direction.
> >
> > As of this writing, I have over 66 packages updated, 16 added, and
> > various fixes on existing packages to get everything buildable against
> > address@hidden  I'm debating whether I should systematically update all the
> > haskell packages while I'm at it, or just make sure everything is
> > buildable under 8.0.2.  There are over 277 haskell packages in all.
> >
> > I wonder how I should send these patches after I'm all done.  git
> > send-email?  That seems crazy.
>
> I agree, it's a lot of work and guaranteeing package compatibility is
> not straightforward.  To simplify things I would like to suggest to
> exploit the work done by Stackage (www.stackage.org) and follow the
> latest LTS release.

Hm, I should have been following a stackage LTS.  Maybe I wouldn't need
to relax any dependency versions.  I also wonder if I could have avoided
some discrepancies between hackage and released .cabal files regarding
dependency versions (there are quite a few [0]).

> I prepared a 'stackage' importer.  It looks up the list of packages at
> https://www.stackage.org/lts (can select which LTS version), extract the
> version used there and downloads that version of the package from
> hackage (with the hackage importer).
>
> Two points are open:
>
> (i) I still need to finish the updater (to work with 'refresh').

TIL guix refresh.  TIL stackage LTS.  I am slow to learn...

> (ii) The latest LTS still uses GHC 8.0.1.  I'm not sure if this is
> because of some real problem (GHC 8.0.2 introduces some
> incompatibilities) or if it is because changing things takes time.
>
> I will probably be able to share the importer/updater in one week (don't
> have much time to work on it during the week).
>
> Regards,
> Fede

Awesome :)

Troy