guix-devel

Re: Icecat crash

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Icecat crash
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:38:02 +0100

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 05:44:43PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
     On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:12:45PM +0100, Julien Lepiller wrote:
     > Hey, I'm also experiencing crashes with icecat since a few months. It
     > just seems to happen randomly. I've found a note about that on the LFS
     > website on the firefox page that says that using system cairo is
     > causing a crash when it tries to do background rendering. So I've
     > changed our icecat recipe to use the bundled version of cairo, and I
     > don't get any crash anymore. Would something like this patch be
     > acceptable?

     For serious upstream vendors like Mozilla, one of the reasons they
     bundle things is that they are hitting bugs in the 3rd party library
     that are not fixed upstream.

     On the other hand, distros like to unbundle because the upstream vendor
     tends not to patch security vulnerabilities in their bundled copies
     quickly enough, in our opinion.

Surely the advantage of a Functional Package Management System like Guix is
that we have the best of both worlds.

We can specify a *specific* version of a dependency to use (patched if
necessary)
but are not forced to bundle it.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3