guix-devel

Re: Memory Usage

From: Tomáš Čech
Subject: Re: Memory Usage
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 09:10:51 +0100

On 2017-02-22 11:51 am, ng0 wrote:
On 17-02-22 11:37:11, Rodger Fox wrote:
What is the typical memory usage of a GuixSD system?

There's no such thing as a typical system. It depends on what you run,
300 open browser tabs will lead to more RAM used for example.

I understand. I didn't mean to leave that as the whole of my question.
I elaborated more on my situation. I have stopped Xorg, networking,
and the guix daemon. I was still at over 5GiB.

I'm watching a video, write in an IRC client, and run some other
background applications and I'm at 3.5 GiB RAM.

So that seems to confirm my suspicion that something is wrong with my system.
I am way over that mark with basically nothing running.
As well, I checked another system I have that runs Arch Linux and I found that with full gnome-desktop and several extra services running, it is around 4GiB.

I was wondering if it was just something strange about the Guix binaries.
Anyway, I'm just looking for ideas. I know it's a pretty vague problem.
It just makes me wonder if my system is compromised somehow.

I think I will try a fresh install to see if it changes anything.

This is rather high - are you sure that you don't count cache into
this?

What is in /proc/meminfo?

Best regards,

S_W