guix-devel

Re: guix system delete-generations -- advice?

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: Re: guix system delete-generations -- advice?
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 17:53:28 +0100 (CET)

From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 15:42:44 +0100

One thing I'm not satisfied with is this: `reinstall-grub' does not
reproduce custom grub menu entries added in the (grub-configuration)
section of a system's bootloader configuration.
[...]
Is there a way to retrieve the current custom grub entries, other than providing a system configuration, or, I hardly dare say it out loud,
parsing grub.cfg? How could this be improved?

Very good point, it’s really a shortcoming.

To fix it we could add the extra entries to <boot-parameters> (which
you can see as /run/current-system/parameters.)  See what I mean?

Yes, that should work!

As for how to proceed, I’m fine either way: we could commit your ‘guix system delete-generation’ patch first, with the understanding that it has the bug you describe, and then fix the bug; or we could do it the
other way around.

I'd prefer to fix the bug first. My patch is a bit messy anyway (I just made (delete-matching-generations) an exported function in (guix scripts package)), and without the grub fix, it doesn't really improve things a lot.

[...]
Doh!  It’s a bug in Guile’s (srfi srfi-37).  Could you send it to
address@hidden

Done!

Thomas