guix-devel

Re: Being excellent to one another

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Being excellent to one another
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 12:36:05 +0000

John Darrington transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:17:08PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>      Word of advice: don't use 'transvestite'. It's a slur.
>
> Is it?  I didn't know that.  I thought it just came from the latin,
> (or greek or whatever): trans meaning "across" and "vestment" clothing.
> It certainly wasn't a slur when I first learnt the word, but
> meanings change...  Thanks for pointing this out.
>

> Actually it was a thinko anyway.  I meant to type "transgender".
>
> J'
>

> --
> Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
> PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
> fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285  A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
> See http://sks-keyservers.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

It is a slur when used in the sense like you did it, ie it's a slur
for transpeople (not being specific about wether transgender or
transsexual was meant).

I think if literally transvestite[0] is meant, there are nicer words people
chose for selfidentification, but I'd have to ask friends or search for
a good introduction which is selfexplanatory.

Anyway, we are currently looking into the best way to solve this thread
and the issues it showed with Ludovic and Ricardo.

[0]: The repetition only because I'm really not sure wether it's a
general or only specific slur. If it is in general, I'm sorry.