guix-devel

Re: how to "install" guixsd on a digitalocean server

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: how to "install" guixsd on a digitalocean server
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2017 16:14:36 +0200

Hi :)

On Fri 07 Apr 2017 16:04, myglc2 <address@hidden> writes:

> On 04/07/2017 at 14:07 Andy Wingo writes:
>
>> I just "installed" GuixSD on a DigitalOcean droplet.  You can't actually
>> install GuixSD; you have to mutate an existing installation into
>> GuixSD.  But fine.
> [...]
>
> I upgraded Debian to GuixSD on a physical server in a similar way ...
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00354.html
>
> ... but I used 'guix system init' instead of 'guix system reconfigure'.
>
> I wonder, could that approach have been used in this situation to avoid
> the need to "clean up the remaining Debian bits"?

Neat.  For me the answer is, I don't know :)  I thought with guix system
init you had to do a bunch of partitiony type things?  Certainly if I
had a blank scratch space I could do that.

In hindsight it is something of a miracle that "reconfigure" worked on a
previously non-GuixSD system.  Strange.  I will accept it though :)

Andy