guix-devel

Re: Having trouble packaging DefaultEncrypt for Emacs

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Having trouble packaging DefaultEncrypt for Emacs
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 23:04:28 +0300

Chris Marusich (2017-04-11 00:40 -0700) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Note, however, that in most cases (not in this case) using "require" is
>> not needed at all!  Usually it is enough to have the generated
>> autoloads.  For example, if you install 'magit', you don't need to (and
>> shouldn't!) put "(require 'magit)" in your emacs config.  You can use
>> "M-x magit-status" right away as 'magit-status' command is "autoloaded".
>
> That's good to know.  I guess this module didn't do the "autoload magic"
> that some modules, like magit, do?

Unlike such packages as magit, this package doesn't provide any
interactive command (thus there is no point to autoload anything), it
just extends the existing Emacs functionality when it is loaded.  It
does so simply by adding a couple of hooks, so if you would like to
avoid loading this package on Emacs start, you can add these hooks
yourself:

(add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-encrypt-if-possible)
(add-hook 'message-send-hook 'mml-secure-check-encryption-p)

If you add the above 2 lines to your emacs config (instead of the
"require" line), "jl-encrypt" package will not be loaded on Emacs
start.  It will be loaded when you'll begin to write a message.

--
Alex