guix-devel

Re: emacs-build-system installs too many files

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: emacs-build-system installs too many files
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 20:16:49 +0300

Arun Isaac (2017-04-14 14:33 +0530) wrote:

> The install phase of the emacs-build-system simply copies all files to
> the output directory. This ends up copying many unnecessary files such
> as README, Makefile, tests, hidden files such as .gitignore,
> .travis.yml, etc. MELPA package recipes, on the other hand, copy only a
> subset of the files. This is provided by the :files property in their
> recipe format (https://github.com/melpa/melpa#recipe-format). Quoting
> from their github page:
[...]
> I suggest we modify the emacs-build-system to include a #:files argument
> similar to MELPA's :files property. If others are fine with this, I will
> start working on a patch.

I totally agree!  I suggested to remove non-"el[c]" files when Federico
introduced the emacs-build-system.  I mentioned it here:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-07/msg00301.html

and a couple of times later :-) But I didn't do anything to implement
this idea, and I think it would be really great if you will give it a
try.  Thank you!

--
Alex