guix-devel

Re: We need an RFC procedure [Re: Services can now have a default value]

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: We need an RFC procedure [Re: Services can now have a default value]
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:29:53 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> It’s a little unfortunate that packages are developed together with
> everything else, because this means that there is no way for people to
> opt out of breaking changes until the next release without also opting
> out of getting any updates at all.

It’s both a strength and a weakness I guess.  The good thing is that we
can make changes that affect everything at once.  The bad thing is what
you mention.

We could use feature branches more, with the downside that they would
probably get little additional testing, precisely because one would have
to choose between features and packages.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.