guix-devel

Re: Unprivileged /gnu/store with PRoot - or relocate

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Unprivileged /gnu/store with PRoot - or relocate
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 07:38:59 +0200

I explored this and actually built Nix/Guix on proot in the past for the
same reasons

  https://github.com/pjotrp/nix-no-root

Mind, it *is* slow. That is why I came up with relocatable Guix which
works much better. No performance loss. Just an extra installation
step. Relocatable Guix works great, but it requires effort to make it
user friendly. We can automate creating relocatable packages with guix
pack. All it needs is an additional installer that rewrites the paths.
The other limitation is that the installer prefix can be no longer
than ~50 characters because it gobbles up the Guix store path + hash.

I have written all the code for that. The installer is fast.

Anyone interested in that type of solution? We can make it work, even
as automated builds. I think it would be great for HPC and can even be
part of non-root packagers, such as brew and conda.

Pj.