guix-devel

Re: Heads-up: transition to Guile 2.2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Heads-up: transition to Guile 2.2
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 23:28:17 +0200

Hi Pjotr,

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have just wasted a few hours trying to find a way to
> bootstrap the latest tree. And I got it to work haphazardly - that
> means I can't reproduce what I did.

Oh.

> Starting from running 'guix pull' twice and essentially following the section
> 'Building GNU Guix from source (using Guix)' in
>

> https://gitlab.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org#building-gnu-guix-from-source-using-guix
>
> which used to work reliably. It all has to do with the guile upgrade. Even
> from
> a clean git clone it won't work as expected.

Apparently I cannot access that page without logging in.  For
developers, the instructions at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Building-from-Git.html>
are still valid, AFAIK.

> Typical errors during build are
>
>   Backtrace:
>     GUILEC   gnu/packages/fcitx.go
>   Exception thrown while printing backtrace:
>     GUILEC   ERROR: gnu/packages/figlet.go
>     In procedure public-lookup: Module named (system repl debug) does
>     not exist

Weird.  Was it with Guile 2.0 or 2.2?  What was on GUILE_LOAD_PATH?

> But I got it somehow to build. guix now lacks a version number:
>
>   ./pre-inst-env guix --version
>   guile: warning: failed to install locale
>     warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
>     guix (GNU Guix) UNKNOWN
>
> probably because bootstrap never did the right thing. Bootstrap passes, but

That’s because build-aux/git-version-gen didn’t find ‘git’ in $PATH.

>   ./configure --localstatedir=/var
>
> complains with
>
>   configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

What does config.log say?

> And during installation:
>
>   ERROR: In procedure stat:
>   ERROR: In procedure stat: No such file or directory:
>
> "/gnu/store/q5kdj7gpawi94pqd15x3wizjq0nx4zhx-python-2.7.13/share/man/man1/python.1"

During installation of what?

> In all, the system feels flaky at this point. I wish we had found a
> way of upgrading guile with backward compatibility. Maybe temporarily
> naming it guile2.2 with matching paths would have been better.

IIUC this does not relate to ‘guix pull’ since you’re building from Git.

FWIW I had been running Guix in my checkout with Guile 2.2 long before
this ‘guix pull’ transition.  It required making sure that all the 2.2
dependencies were in the environment (not the 2.0 dependencies), but
apart from that that went fine.

I’m afraid I don’t have enough info to debug the issues you mention here
though.  :-/

Ludo’.