guix-devel

Re: What’s next?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: What’s next?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 17:17:24 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> skribis:

> Hi,

>> Hi Brendan,
>>
>> Brendan Tildesley <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> One little annoyance I have is that guix takes every opportunity to
>>> update the list of substitutes when guix build, guix package -u, etc...
>>> is run, and fills my terminal with output like:
>>>
>>> substitute: updating list of substitutes from
>>> 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>>> substitute: updating list of substitutes from
>>> 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>>> substitute: updating list of substitutes from
>>> 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>>> substitute: updating list of substitutes from
>>> 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>>
>> I agree, it’s actually a huge annoyance.  It relates to grafts and how
>> they are implemented; I took a stab at fixing this a while back but the
>> approach turned out to be (mostly?) misguided:
>>
>>   https://bugs.gnu.org/22990
>>
>> Would be worth thinking through it again!
>
> Maybe we could make a timer variable configurable, so that at least it
> doesn't try to refresh this information at *every* guix command?

That’s not what’s happening.  When you see repeated lines that go
directly to 100%, that’s because it’s fetching metadata for just a
single package, and does that one by one.

In other cases, it fetches as many as possible at once, and uses HTTP
pipelining to send all these requests to hydra.gnu.org.

Ludo’.