guix-devel

Re: Compilation failure on very large module

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Compilation failure on very large module
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:18:52 +0200

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Here’s the crash with Guile 2.2.  I’ve added the module to the list of
> modules that should be compiled and ran “make”.  You can see that there
> are a couple of undefined variables, but I don’t think this should lead
> to a crash.

Looks like the same problem as outlined here:
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2017-05/msg00033.html>.

Basically the compiler’s memory consumption seems to be proportional to
the size of the input file, when I think it should be proportional to
the complexity of the most complex top-level expression given that Guile
doesn’t do inter-procedural analysis.

(The failure you get on 2.0 seems to be another story: apparently we’re
hitting a limitation somewhere in the object format.)

Ludo’.