guix-devel

Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:26:53 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Hi Roel,
>
>> With the following patch to the Xorg configuration file, I have a
>> tear-free GuixSD experience.  I wonder if this is upstreameable in some
>> way.  This patch is probably too broad in effect.  Can I change it so
>> that only the graphics card I have will be affected by this patch?
>
> I’m not sure about this, but you can apply it only to your system by
> changing the slim-service’s “startx” value like this:

>     (modify-services %desktop-services
>       (slim-service-type
>        config => (slim-configuration
>                   (inherit config)
>                   (startx (xorg-start-command
>                            #:configuration-file
>                            (xorg-configuration-file
>                             #:extra-config
>                             (list your-fix)))))))
>
> But I suppose what you want is to apply it unconditionally in Guix and
> have the X server ignore it for all but this one graphics card, right?

No, not necessarily.  I could no longer do 'guix pull && guix system
reconfigure ...', which I attempted to solve by upstreaming this patch.

I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem on this hardware..

Thanks for your snippet!  I've done a system reconfigure and the extra
configuration applied as expected.

If there is anyone with the same problem, we could look further into
upstreaming it.

Thanks,
Roel