guix-devel

Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 22:46:24 -0700

Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus writes:
>
>> Hi Roel,
>>
>>> With the following patch to the Xorg configuration file, I have a
>>> tear-free GuixSD experience.  I wonder if this is upstreameable in some
>>> way.  This patch is probably too broad in effect.  Can I change it so
>>> that only the graphics card I have will be affected by this patch?
>>
>> I’m not sure about this, but you can apply it only to your system by
>> changing the slim-service’s “startx” value like this:

>>     (modify-services %desktop-services
>>       (slim-service-type
>>        config => (slim-configuration
>>                   (inherit config)
>>                   (startx (xorg-start-command
>>                            #:configuration-file
>>                            (xorg-configuration-file
>>                             #:extra-config
>>                             (list your-fix)))))))
>>
>> But I suppose what you want is to apply it unconditionally in Guix and
>> have the X server ignore it for all but this one graphics card, right?
>
> No, not necessarily.  I could no longer do 'guix pull && guix system
> reconfigure ...', which I attempted to solve by upstreaming this patch.

Why wouldn't you be able to do a 'guix pull && guix system reconfigure'?

> I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem on this hardware..

Yes, I have this problem.  I use a Lenovo X200.  Like Mark, graphical
Emacs doesn't display characters right, and it's difficult to tell what
the buffer actually contains, sometimes.  I've reconfigured my system to
use the extra Xorg config you've provided in this thread, and I'll let
you know in a week or two if it seems to have fixed the problem.

--
Chris