guix-devel

Re: A question about 'guix build -f'

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: A question about 'guix build -f'
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 20:11:55 +0300

Feng Shu (2017-07-06 06:21 +0800) wrote:

> I want to build emacs-exwm-x in my guix-git repo with the following command:
>
>    guix build emacs-exwm-x -f /home/feng/project/guix/gnu/packages/emacs.scm
>
> But it seem to do nothing, any suggestion?

As it is mentioned in the manual, when you use "guix build -f", the file
*must* evaluates to the package definition, i.e. it would work if the
last expression in "gnu/packages/emacs.scm" returned a package.  But the
last expression is ‘(define-public ...)’ which doesn't return a package
definition.

> by the way, pre-inst-env is not suit my need, I just want to hack a
> small package -> rebase it to latest git commit -> test build and
> install -> format patch
>
> The problem is that, when I git pull to get latest git commit, test
> build and install need download and build many many package, this is
> veeeeeeery sloooooooooow. so I need a way I can code in guix git repo
> and use system guix to test build and install.

Well, if you don't want to pull the latest commit, use whatever commit
you want, modify the package and use "pre-inst-env".  I don't really
understand what is the problem.

Actually, if you really want to use "-f" option, just put ‘emacs-exwm-x’
symbol to the end of that file.  But this is not the "right way" :-)

--
Alex