guix-devel

revert perl-5.26.0 update?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: revert perl-5.26.0 update?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:36:19 +0300

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:50:09PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> The armhf port is currently blocked while we try to build Guile 2.2.2,
> so I'm focusing on x86_64-linux for now.
>
> Here is a list of failing packages on x86_64-linux that need some help:
>
> gnome-mime-data fails due to a regex parsing issue that was exposed by
> the update to Perl 5.26.0:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2170234
>
> go-1.8 fails due to the same regex parsing issue:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2168634
>
> gengetopt fails:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2169271
>
> guile-bash fails:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2171039
>
> ngs-sdk fails due to the Perl 5.26.0 change to a "dotless INC":
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2171274
>
> metabat fails:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2171756
>
> perl-class-accessor-grouped fails due to dotless INC (patch available on
> upstream bug tracker):
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2170942
>
> perl-http-parser-xz fails due to dotless INC:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2172752
>
> perl-object-signature fails due to dotless INC (patch available on
> upstream bug tracker):
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2172672
>
> perl-test-script fails due to dotless INC:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2174900
>
> perl-unicode-normalize fails due to dotless INC:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2171416
>
> perl-www-curl fails due to dotless INC:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2174250
>
> perl-xs-object-magic fails due to dotless INC:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2170768
>
> python2-pexpect fails:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2168957
>
> quilt fails due to that Perl 5.26.0 regex parsing issue:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2169903
>
> zsh fails its tests. I've noticed this test suite is unreliable:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2170357

There's a lot of perl related build failures. Maybe it would be better
to revert the perl update and work on updating perl and all the perl
modules separately. It seems to me that there are a large number of perl
packages that haven't been updated in quite some time.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר