guix-devel

Re: Is font-google-noto toooooo big as a font package?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Is font-google-noto toooooo big as a font package?
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:35:52 +0000

ng0 transcribed 3.3K bytes:
> ng0 transcribed 2.3K bytes:
> > Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.7K bytes:
> > > ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:

> > > So maybe we could make the CJK part a different output or a different
> > > package?
> > >
> > > Ludo’.
> > >

> > Depending on how active the sources change (I see no version in the
> > names of the files) we could take every part and move it to their own
> > package, and let "google-font-noto" became a metapackage for those who
> > need/want the entire set.
> > Even cjk can be a meta set, as all the CJK fonts are split.
>
> Our current noto package isn't any different than the ones offered on
> their website: It is versioned (probably from github or a news announcement),
> but the file is not really versioned, and our downloaded file into the store
> is not versioned aswell.
>
> Now we have two options: Switch to their github repositories for the
> downloads,
> where they are versioned, or use all the individual files from the noto
> website:
>
> - https://www.google.com/get/noto/
> Noto fonts except for CJK and emoji: https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts
> Noto CJK fonts: https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-cjk
> Noto Emoji fonts and the toolchain to generate Noto Emoji fonts:
> https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-emoji
>
> I'm in favor of just using the unversioned fonts from the
> google website because they are a) upstream b) bigger than
> github (I'm positive that they have their fallback options)
> and c) the files are reasonable grouped in archives.

I started working on these fonts. I think it's okay if I throw
them one by one onto the bugtracker, I won't be able to do all
of them. I'll submit two which can give you a start for the ones
afterwards, all based modular on the first one, inheriting from
it.

Also I have an idea on how to fix some of the fonts which are not
using the font-build-system.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588