guix-devel

Re: Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 08:38:32 +0000

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.6K bytes:
> Hello,
>
> Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > By hosting source packages on IPFS they become content addressable and
> > should scale for downloads. It would also become a safe way of
> > distributing data.
> >
> > https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs

I hope that you are aware that this isn't that safe.
As an intermediate solution it is okay. It is similar to providing
torrents. It works, but everyone wants the easy way, the
easy solution which works $now.

Maybe we have different goals, which would be okay aswell,
you can have different goals but still work on a common base
as teams.

On an update semi-related to this thread:
I don't have any illusions, gnunet-fs integration will take some
time going from the theory lynX, Grothoff and mainly myself thought of,
talked through and wrote down to having it in place. It will require
some additions to gnunet-fs which need to be discussed, etc.

--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588