guix-devel

System configuration on non-GuixSD systems (Debian)

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: System configuration on non-GuixSD systems (Debian)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:23:25 +0200

Hi,

I need to reinstall a Debian server (again) and I am looking at how I
can use 'guix system' to configure stuff. I remember there was someone
who wrote a about configuring on non-GuixSD, but can't find the
material (I need Debian because it has CUDA).

Let's say I want sshd. It would make sense to me to create a package
for openssh-with-config-for-machine, i.e., a modified sshd_config. The
config file can sit in the store somewhere and I can symlink to a
profile from /etc/sshd on this box so it gets picked up.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a smarter way to go about this? I can see for GuixSD is
   handled differently
2. How do I best parametrize the configuration file - for different
   machines? I suppose the package could write the config file.

systemd I'll do separately - though I suppose you could mix systemd
and shepherd?

Doing it in a Guixy way would help me migrate to GuixSD later. Any
ideas?

Pj.