guix-devel

Re: Random idea about speeding up guix pull

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Random idea about speeding up guix pull
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 14:38:57 +0000

Hartmut Goebel transcribed 15K bytes:
> Hi,
>
> I've seen in Ludo's slides that speeding up guix pull is topic. Here is
> a random idea on the:
>
> "git pull" can probably be speed up by using something like
>
>     git init .
>     git remote add …
>     git fetch --depth=1 origin master
>     git checkout FETCH_HEAD
>
> This will only download the top-most commit resp. commit-state.
>
> From my mostly up-t-date clone, this method downloads only 1559 objects
> and 'du -s .git' reports 13M – compared to "git pull" downloading 133284
> objects and taking 49M.

Yes, that would make many git clones take less space.

> We could use this for downloading sourcce-code via git (git-download).

Andy Wingo has proposed this in the past and had a patch which once
upon a time in 2015 worked. If you are motivated enough to adjust it,
it's still on the list but git-download and the other file it touches
has been changed very much since 2015.

pub   RSA 4096/BF773B65 2013-10-05 Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden>

--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588