guix-devel

Re: hardcoded $HOME/.guix-profile in kdevelop

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: Re: hardcoded $HOME/.guix-profile in kdevelop
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 08:47:18 +0200 (CEST)

From: Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden>
Subject: hardcoded $HOME/.guix-profile in kdevelop
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 21:17:44 +0200

I just stumbled upon commit 2f4d08ee7f897e254c6e533ad2d69c7fe4998f38
while looking for an example of a package that uses QT_PLUGIN_PATH. I noticed that the above commit unconditionally adds “$HOME/.guix-profile”
to the XDG_DATA_DIRS.

I think we should not hardcode the default user profile directory in
application wrappers.  Is it really necessary to add
“$HOME/.guix-profile” to XDG_DATA_DIRS in the wrapper? Will the package
fail to work when it is installed to a different profile?

Hi,

some icons were missing from the interface, and adding <profile>/share to XDG_DATA_DIRS improved that. But you're right that this is not a proper solution (I was young and naive at the time ;-) ). Probably it can be solved just as well by installing the icons in the proper directory (something like <out>/share/icons/hicolor ?).

I'll try to improve this.

There's a similar problem with QT_PLUGIN_PATH, though perhaps that will be fixed with the qt/kde install location patches people are currently working on.

Thomas