guix-devel

Re: Question about multiple licenses

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Question about multiple licenses
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 23:13:42 +0100

>> Well, from what I know about copyright, that isn't the licence of glibc,
>> which is the sum of all the licences involved, and you'd have to know
>> how to find them if you didn't just unpack the tarball.  With pack
>> output in a lot of cases you don't have the information.
>
> Right, ‘guix pack’ makes things more complicated—although I would argue
> that, contrary to Dockerfiles and the like (which nobody seems to
> complain about),

Well,
they should -- I think there should be something from GNU on
the topic -- and it's what motivated the Fedora
policy to separate %licence.  That's supposed to go into containers as
I understand it, c.f. %doc, which isn't in spec files.

> Guix makes it easier to do provenance tracking since
> there’s an unambiguous source → binary mapping.

Right, though the binary can be under a subset licence, e.g. when
un-shipped tests are under a different licence.

> How do Debian and Fedora determine the relevant files to copy?  We could
> investigate ways to do that, but it won’t scale unless we have a mostly
> automated way to do it.

The submitter and reviewer have to put the right stuff in the package
definition -- %license for Fedora and the copyright file for Debian.
That should be checked to first order with licensecheck (automated in
the "fedora-review" tool).  You might be able to automate cross-checking
with Debian and Fedora to some extent.

> (It won’t scale to the size of Stackage, CPAN, Pypi, etc. either…)
>
> Thoughts?

I think it has to be got right even if they don't do so.  There's plenty
imported to Fedora and Debian from those.