guix-devel

Re: Ctrl-Alt-F1,F2,F3 ... can not start a console.

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Ctrl-Alt-F1,F2,F3 ... can not start a console.
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 22:06:29 +0200

Feng Shu <address@hidden> writes:

> "Feng Shu" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> "Feng Shu" <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Can you reproduce the problem in a VM created by ‘guix system vm’?
>>> (Note that in QEMU you need to do ctrl-1 to go to the QEMU console, then
>>> “sendkey ctrl-alt-f1”, and then ctrl-2 to switch back to the VM screen.)
>>>
>>> If not, could it be that the problem has to do with the graphics driver
>>> being used?
>>
>> qemu vm works well, may be it is graphics driver problem as you said, I
>> will wait to update driver, thanks for the help!
>>

> When I revert "gnu: xf86-video-ati: Update to 7.10.0." , it works well.
>
> 84023d2fa4a47e3ac0248d304324161c041858aa

Uff.  I suspect it's related to this snippet from the ChangeLog[0]:

* The driver now takes measures to prevent other DRM master processes
  (potentially from other local users) from accessing buffers created by
  this driver while switched away to a different VT. Other DRM master
  processes should only be able to access a single buffer anymore, which
  contains only all-black pixels.

Are you willing to report this bug upstream?  See here for information:

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xorg/

We should probably revert this on 'master' meanwhile.  Unfortunately I
don't have ATI hardware to test with, so it would be good if someone
else could try to reproduce this problem.

[0] https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-September/002806.html