guix-devel

Re: Guix locales on native distro's

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Guix locales on native distro's
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:36:46 +0200

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 05:47:29PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 03:35:17PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>
> > > The difference is
> > > that the tools are linked against glibc 2.22 and 2.23
> >
> > This means that you will need to have glibc-locales for all three
> > versions.  GUIX_LOCPATH is set to “lib/locales”, which contains
> > versioned sub-directories.  If the directory only contains locales for
> > 2.25, then your applications that are linked with 2.22 or 2.23 can’t
> > possibly be able to find the proper locale data.
>
> All locales are there. I checked.

OK, I managed to find a way out, i.e, a reproducable working version.

Essentially, after installing xterm and locales I need to load

    source ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile

followed by firing up a uxterm which I have as an alias

    alias guixterm='/home/wrk/.guix-profile/bin/uxterm -vb -fg black -bg
lightyellow -fn *-fixed-*-*-*-*-20-*'

    guixterm &

That gives me the full locale support with, for example,

    export LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8

I realize now that the problem I had before was variations on the
startup procedure. As I don't always have the standard GUIX profile by
default (I have different profiles for different needs) I need to
start that up first. Then run a uxterm with that background and
locales work fine on Debian too.

Pj.