guix-devel

LibreOffice Fonts

From: Tom Balzer
Subject: LibreOffice Fonts
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 16:15:50 -0500

Hello -

Recently I installed libreoffice in my user profile, and found that all
menus require the package 'font-gnu-freetype-ttf' in order to render
correctly. Without this package, every character was rendered as a
rectangle indicating a missing font. From the manuals description of
'propagated-inputs', it seems like this font package would fit the use
case:

> Lastly, ‘propagated-inputs’ is similar to ‘inputs’, but the
> specified packages will be automatically installed alongside
> the package they belong to (*note ‘guix package’:
> package-cmd-propagated-inputs, for information on how ‘guix
> package’ deals with propagated inputs.)
>
> For example this is necessary when a C/C++ library needs
> headers of another library to compile, or when a pkg-config
> file refers to another one via its ‘Requires’ field.

I asked on #guix, and one argument against including fonts in propagated
inputs is to avoid packaging the font when 'pack'ing for another
system. This to me is really an argument for including the fonts, since
there is no guarantee that the other system is 'rational', so to
speak. To create totally portable packages I would think including this
font required to render the menus would make sense.

Thanks,
Tom