guix-devel

Re: 01/04: gnu: mesa: Disable imx driver for armhf-linux.

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: 01/04: gnu: mesa: Disable imx driver for armhf-linux.
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 16:58:16 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Marius Bakke) writes:
>
>> mbakke pushed a commit to branch master
>> in repository guix.
>>
>> commit 2a087882b1cb2e40e7b63580c675b58a5cfa1b96
>> Author: Marius Bakke <address@hidden>
>> Date:   Thu Oct 12 18:57:30 2017 +0200
>>
>>     gnu: mesa: Disable imx driver for armhf-linux.
>>
>>     * gnu/packages/gl.scm (mesa)<#:configure-flags>: Don't build imx driver.
>
> What is the rationale for this change?  Although "guix refresh -l mesa"
> is failing to work for me at the moment, I'm fairly sure that this
> change will entail a massive rebuild on armhf-linux.  In general, this
> kind of change belongs on another branch.

Hello!

Sorry, I should have made the commit comment clearer.  The 'imx' driver
depends on 'etnaviv', which failed to build due to symbols mismatch in
'libdrm'.  From the build log in <https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2318253>:

configure: error: Building with imx requires etnaviv

Note that mesa and libdrm did not build any drivers at all on armhf
until recent commits on 'staging'.  I tried cross-compiling libdrm
to update etnaviv symbols instead, but failed some packages before it.

So currently it's a trial-and-error process to find flags to make mesa
build on armhf.  This means armhf users are currently unable to build
*any* graphical packages, actually.  Given how expensive evaluations
are, I figured we might as well deal with it on 'master'.

Hopefully users affected by this can give a hand in finding a working
libdrm/mesa configuration.