guix-devel

Re: ESC/P-R package

From: Diego Nicola Barbato
Subject: Re: ESC/P-R package
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 18:15:17 +0100

Hello Ludo,

> Hello Diego,
>
> Diego Nicola Barbato <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I would like to create a package for the ESC/P-R printer driver.  The
>> recipe works on my machine (GuixSD on x86_64).  Yet I am not sure about
>> the source URL as it appears to break as soon as a new version is made
>> available because the old link is not preserved.  Should we get the
>> source from
>> http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/e/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/
>> instead, even though it is an older version?
>
> It would be ideal if you would find a mirror of the latest upstream
> source at debian.org or anywhere else.  Then you can change your recipe
> to include several URLs:
>
>   (origin
>     ;; …
>     (uri (list "…epson.net…" "…debian.org…")))
>
> Does that make sense?

I agree that this would be ideal.  But as of now the latest version I
have found on a mirror is 1.6.16 (on the aforementioned Debian
repository) while the latest version is 1.6.17.  I could use the
epson.net source and add the one on debian.org as soon as it is updated
to the latest version.

> When you’re ready I encourage you to follow
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html>
> and send us the ‘git format-patch’-produced patch so we can incorporate it.

Thank you for your feedback.  I apologise for not adhering to the
guidelines; this is my first contribution to a free software project.
If it is enough to add just the epson.net source for the time being I
will submit my patch as soon as possible and according to the manual.

Greetings

Diego