guix-devel

Re: Tiny Guix (and containers)

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Tiny Guix (and containers)
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 15:45:11 +0000

>> It looks to me as if it would often help significantly, e.g. when a
>> pkg-config file, or something else sucks in a load of stuff that's
>> irrelevant for running the package.  (Separating :lib and needing that
>> for building means you need to know something about the packaging rather
>> than just using "devel", say.)
>
> Right, good point.
>
> The nice thing with “lib” and “doc” is that it has a direct mapping to
> the GNU directory classification (libdir, docdir, etc.)

Sure, though there's typically a distinction between lib and, say,
lib64, in other distributions, where lib has other than linkable
libraries (e.g. in Fedora, openmpi is mostly under the prefix
/usr/lib64/openmpi).

> Now, we could depart from it and go with “devel”, for the reasons you
> give.  Let’s experiment and see how it goes!

Good to hear as an experimentalist!

I wonder how much practical experience people have with conventional
packaging and the resulting trades-off, e.g. as Debian, Fedora,
etc. maintainers.  I think it helps to understand that reasonably well.
I'm happy to explain to the extent I can if it helps.  I'm more familiar
with Fedora, but then Debian is usually easier.