guix-devel

Re: java: switch to icedtea-8 as default JDK

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: java: switch to icedtea-8 as default JDK
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 21:27:37 +0200

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:58:48PM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> 1) Confirm that these packages build before making changes.  If any
> >> fail, fix them first if possible.

> >> I'm going to try step (1) tonight on my laptop.  Is there a way to check
> >> their build status on Hydra, I wonder?  I'm planning to just do it in a
> >> simple shell one-liner like the following:
> >>
> >> for pkg in $(</tmp/pkgs); do if guix build --keep-failed $pkg; then echo
> >> success: $pkg >> /tmp/log; else echo failure: $pkg >> /tmp/log; fi; done
>
> I tried something like this, and GuixSD crashed while it was building
> the packages...  Specifically, the following morning, I checked my
> computer and found that the screen remained blank, the HDD I/O LED was
> constantly on (as if tons of disk access was taking place), and not even
> pressing the capslock key would turn on the capslock key LED.  I decided
> to let the computer sit for the day, but when I got home 8 hours later,
> nothing had changed.  I power cycled my machine, and after it booted, I
> found that during the night, my kernel had logged an Oops along with a
> BUG in /var/log/messages, but I don't really know why it occurred.
>
> So, I don't know if any of the packages built successfully or not.  I'll
> try again tonight, and this time I'll store the results somewhere where
> I'll (hopefully) be able to see how far it got before crashing.
> Hopefully it won't crash this time...  If you know of an easier way to
> check the build status of packages that will be impacted by an icedtea
> change, please let me know.
>
> --
> Chris

my build script is a little different:
guix package -A | cut -f1,2 | sed -e 's/\t/@/' | parallel --bar --shuf --jobs 1
guix build --no-grafts --fallback

and you could have "guix refresh -l -e '(@ (gnu packages java) icedtea-7)'"
in place of 'guix package -A'. Mine doesn't take into account packages
that are already built or dependencies which have already failed, but it
could be loading all the packages into memory at once is too much. If it
isn't then perhaps:
guix build --no-grafts --keep-going < $(guix refresh ... | cut -f1,2 | sed -e
would also work.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר