guix-devel

Re: ISO image available for testing!

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: ISO image available for testing!
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 19:52:08 -0500

Hi Ludovic,

> 91c9b5d01 * packages: 'package-grafts' trims native inputs.

[...]

> Long story short: we were flagging native inputs as potential sources of
> grafts even though, by definition, native inputs are not referred to at
> run time.

I agree that this *should* never happen, but I see little reason for
confidence that it never happens in actual fact.

What would happen if a reference to a native-input *was* present in the
build outputs?  The reason I ask is that, for security reasons, it's
obviously very important to reliably avoid using ungrafted software at
run time.

I'm concerned that this recent change could cause minor
nearly-undetectable packaging mistakes to become major security holes.

One solution would be to explicitly check build outputs for references
to native-inputs, and to force a build failure in that case.

What do you think?

    Regards,
      Mark