guix-devel

Needs enhancement: "is my guix current?"

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Needs enhancement: "is my guix current?"
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 13:20:43 +0100

Hi,

on my effort to solve the problems when updating to guix 0.14.0, I
stepped over this simple question:

Is the installed guix the current one, resp. the current one my guix
knows of? Is there anyway to find out whether 20170924.19 or
0.13.0-6.a9468b4 is newer?

guix installed:

    # guix --version
    guix (GNU Guix) 20170924.19

guix knows to my guix:

    # guix package -A guix
    guix    0.13.0-6.a9468b4

From the usability point of view, this information needs to be ovbiously
available. Users should easily be able to to determine which version is
the newer one.

Since I do not know how these different version numbers are generated, I
can't make any suggestions, though. Sorry.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |