guix-devel

Re: license naming

From: ng0
Subject: Re: license naming
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 18:51:06 +0000

Jelle Licht transcribed 2.3K bytes:

> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've just read this link:
> > https://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/rms-article-for-claritys-sake-please-dont-say-licensed-under-gnu-gpl-2
> >
> > Full Quote:
> >
> >> In this article, For Clarity's Sake, Please Don't Say "Licensed under GNU
> >> GPL 2"!, Free Software Foundation president Richard Stallman (RMS)
> >> explains how to properly identify what GNU license your work is under.
> >> Whenever a developer releases their work under a GNU license, they have
> >> the option to either release it under that version of the license only, or
> >> to make it available under any later version of that license. This option
> >> ensures that software can remain compatible with future versions of the
> >> license. But what happens if someone just says their program is under GNU
> >> GPL version 2, for example?

> >> Thus, it is vitally important that developers indicate in their license
> >> notices whether they are licensing their work under that version "only" or
> >> under "any later version." Of course, these days it is also helpful for
> >> license notices to be machine-readable. The Software Package Data Exchange
> >> (SPDX) specification sets a standardized way of identifying licenses on
> >> software packages. They are updating their license identifiers to include
> >> this distinction in their upcoming version. For example, for GNU GPL
> >> version 2, the identifiers are now "GPL-2.0-only or GPL-2.0-or-later." The
> >> old identifiers (e.g. "GPL-2.0") are now deprecated and should no longer
> >> be used. Based on the changes SPDX says are coming in the SPDX
> >> specification and its Web site, the FSF expects to endorse the new version
> >> of the SPDX. We thank SPDX and their community for making these helpful
> >> changes.
> >

> > Maybe we could make use of what https://spdx.org/licenses/
> > provides. I didn't compare the names with our names, I'll do
> > this on the train next week.
> > Good idea, bad idea?
>
> We already have a `spdx-string->license' function in
> `(guix import utils)', in case you need a starting point. It
> makes sense to me to use a de facto way of referring to licenses,
> but I am not sure whether this has some disadvantages compared to the
> currently used way of referring to licenses.
>
> - Jelle

My "problem", or rather the question I pose is: Does it make sense to
adjust how the license is displayed? Like instead of "GPL 2" We'd display
"GPL 2.0 only" and instead of "GPL 2+" (no example at hand to test if this
is the current display) we'd display "GPL 2 or later".
--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys