guix-devel

Re: Using Guix archive (Help!)

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Using Guix archive (Help!)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 11:32:11 +0100

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 01:46:18PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > >   Q3: how do we view the contents of a NAR file without unpacking it?
> >
> > I don’t think you can.  It’s a custom format implemented by
> > nix/libutil/archive.cc.

OK, the format is pretty simple. On why Nix did not use tar instead:

  https://lethalman.blogspot.nl/2014/08/nix-pill-9-automatic-runtime.html

I kind of like the way nar files work(ed) in Nix. No signing, no
assumptions. Much like tar. If we can view nar files and just add
their contents to the store we would have another powerful
distribution mechanism. Especially in controlled environments. At this
point I have to set up two publish servers just to pass packages
along. I have to tell others how to add a key and substitute URLs.

It is overkill. Also nar files can be one-click installs with or
without a store.

And for the record, I am no fan of signed binaries installs. Much of
the world does not require you to install a key first. When a user
installs software we can assume he knows what he is doing and trusts
the source (rightfully or not). Signing is good, but it should be
optional.

Same for a default Guix binary install. By installing Guix we trust
the source implicitely. But I a know I am heretic screaming into the
void ;). I'll scream once a year, nevertheless. I know screaming is
easy, so maybe I can help a little here.

I have limited internet these weeks, but when I have more space I can
look at Nix tooling again. See if there is something to view the
contents of a nar file. If we want to stick to NAR we can improve the
use of them. That would give Guix nar, pack, Docker and my relocatable
binary installs. Choice is good.

Pj.