guix-devel

Re: Meltdown / Spectre

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: Meltdown / Spectre
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 09:49:54 -0200

I don't know if this serves as guidance as to if microcode is functional
or not, but from [1] I quote:

#+BEGIN_QUOTE

However, there is an exception for secondary embedded processors. The
exception applies to software delivered inside auxiliary and low-level
processors and FPGAs, within which software installation is not intended
after the user obtains the product. This can include, for instance,
microcode inside a processor, firmware built into an I/O device, or the
gate pattern of an FPGA. The software in such secondary processors does
not count as product software.

#+END_QUOTE

My (perhaps uninformed) opinion is that it's functional data, but not
the sort of "functional" that every human would be allowed to modify
after it was first written.

[1] <https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/criteria>.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com