guix-devel

Re: Errors encountered in building guix from source.

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Errors encountered in building guix from source.
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:16:27 -0800

Fis Trivial <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I will have to disable guix for a while since it's really messing
> up with my environment and I currently don't have the time to deal with
> it. :(
> I will come back latter and try joining the development for guix itself,
> really sorry.

I hope you come back soon!  Even though these kinds of things can be a
rocky road sometimes, bug reports and feedback by people like you are
essential for driving improvements in Guix.

Oleg Pykhalov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Can we put it in the document too? :)
>
> I don't know about how to describe it properly.  'Do not do a thing from
> guix environment' is a good for mailing list, but bad for the
> documentation, I believe.  Because the documentation should teach people
> and not give a solution.  This is why Nix discontinued their wiki site.

I feel your pain here, Fis.  I have felt the same way when I've been
bitten by specific problems with various technologies, including Guix
and Guile.  But Oleg is right: ultimately, putting specific solutions to
specific problems like this in the manual does not tend to improve the
quality of the manual.

--
Chris