guix-devel

Re: Improving Shepherd

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Improving Shepherd
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 03:41:49 +1100

Hey Danny,

On Mon, Feb 05 2018, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
I assume that means "starts a user's shepherd when they log in".

Either that, or run the services itself. In either case, what you have sent is very helpful!

User namespaces just present a different set of names to your process
(via VFS) so it looks like a chroot basically.
It does nothing for processes except fake their ids and limit your
overview of them.

You probably want process groups (see setsid(2)) or maybe containers.

Okay. I've been trying to read about containers/cgroups/namespaces and I think my mind has just blurred them all into the same thing. I'll read up about process groups. Thanks!

Carlo