guix-devel

Re: Package input loop detection

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Package input loop detection
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:04:33 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've had this issue for a while now, while adding some packages, I'll
>> create a loop in the package graph, which causes Guix to just loop
>> infinitely when trying to generate derivations.
>
> this is a great initiative.  I’ve been having this issue in the past as
> well, and I’d really like Guix to be a little smarter about it.

I’m currently updating many Haskell packages and I applied this patch to
make this job easier.  It works as advertised.

I think it could be less verbose (because something like this won’t
happen in a released version of Guix and is only useful to developers).
I’m no longer convinced that it should be a separate tool; it is an
improvement over having “guix build” hang indefinitely.  I’d much rather
have “guix build” fail on its own than requiring me to lose patience and
hit Ctrl-C.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net