guix-devel

Re: PYTHONPATH woes

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: PYTHONPATH woes
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 00:54:54 +0100

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 08:36:46PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Patching Python 2 is still an option, but I’d like to explore (and
> understand) upstream mechanisms first.

I don't think it will be radical and something upstream can adopt. We
can at least suggest it ;)

> > With Ruby we have a similar interpreter issue - even more fine grained
> > between versions. It is a pain. But there is no real solution other
> > than using profiles properly.
>
> Do Ruby *executables* also suffer from accidental dependency injection
> as Ribodiff does in this case?

Main problem is that gems are stored in major versions, e.g. 2.4. So
Ruby 2.4.1 stores modules in the same path as 2.4.2. I think that is a
mistake. Theoretically gems are compatible... But you can see the
potential mess.