guix-devel

Re: split up python-pyqt or python-matplotlib?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: split up python-pyqt or python-matplotlib?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 17:55:38 +0100

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> “python-pyqt” depends on all of Qt.  “python-pyqt” is also an input to
> “python-matplotlib” because that package has a Qt rendering backend.
>
> I wonder if we can make this lighter by default.  The scientific Python
> stack depends on “python-matplotlib”, but it seems like a very expensive
> dependency as it pulls in *all* of Qt *and* Gtk+.
>
> Is it feasible to split up “python-pyqt”?  If not, can we reasonably
> decouple matplotlib from pyqt?

I’m no Pythonista, but would it work to create “python-matplotlib-qt”,
which would contain nothing but the Qt rendering backend?

That way, assuming rendering backends are searched for at run time,
people could choose to install python-matplotlib-qt if they need this
backend.  (Similar to what I did with ‘guile’ vs. ‘guile-readline’.)

HTH,
Ludo’.